12:31 06th May, 2015
OPPO Confirms Plans To Upgrade ColorOS To Android 5.0 Lollipop
A touchy topic that many Chinese smartphone manufacturers have avoided for long.
OPPO has finally made it official that it will be upgrading its custom skin called the ColorOS to version 2.1. The good news is not the new features, iconigraphy and custom gestures that will come with the update, but the fact that the base Android firmware will finally shift to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
This is good news for OPPO fans indeed as the smartphone manufacturer has been straying away from the topic for long. Meaning that OPPO smartphone owners (including flagships like the Find 7) have been left stranded after the KitKat update.
But OPPO is not the first Chinese smartphone maker to make the move. Indeed that credibility should go to OnePlus, that actually delivered the Android 5.0 Lollipop recently after which it began working on its own Oxygen OS ROM for its One handset (and managed to deliver that too).
Newer, flatter icons in ColorOS 2.1.
Xiaomi was next. The Chinese smartphone maker launched its Mi 4i smartphone with the latest version of MIUI V6 and Android 5.0 Lollipop.
Hopefully, the rest of the lot including Vivo’s smartphones should upgrade to the same soon. The issue with upgraded software currently appears to be a growing problem with Chinese smartphone manufacturers. The Vivo Xshot comes with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Clearly, this is not to say that the other international brands are on time when it comes to updates (we are looking at you Samsung). Motorola, ASUS and Sony handsets (some of them) have already moved to Android 5.0 Lollipop and are looking forward to the next iteration.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones