12:23 20th Jul, 2015
Microsoft Seeding Firmware Update To Enable 4G Bands On Lumia Smartphones | TechTree.com
Microsoft Seeding Firmware Update To Enable 4G Bands On Lumia Smartphones
Finally, Lumia users can switch to faster 4G networks.
Microsoft has begun the roll out of a small firmware update for select Lumia devices in India. The select number of devices, so far only had 3G bands enabled on the software front, even though these smartphones have the required 4G hardware inside.
If you were wondering why this was not enabled from the very beginning? Well, Microsoft has its own reasons for that.
These smartphones began selling last year (and a little before that) and during that time, telecom operators and the authority had not decided on which 4G bands it would be utilizing for the same.
Now that things have been sorted, and operators have begun the 4G roll out in many parts of India, it makes sense for companies like Microsoft to enable to right bands (FDD-LTE (1800MHz) Band 3 for some) which will help for a trouble-free 4G experience for customers.
The devices that qualify for the update are as follows:
Still then, not all devices will be getting the latest of the fastest support (TDD-LTE 2300MHz Band 40) on the software front, due to hardware limitations of these older devices.
So what if you want the latest and fastest bands on your Lumia device? Well, there is no way out, apart from upgrading your hardware to a newer Lumia device.
As for the 4G networks, Bharti Airtel seems to be spearheading the initiative, while Vodafone seems mum on the topic.
The roll-out for 4G networks in India is picking up pace and the same can be said about customers who are switching to 4G enabled smartphones. Samsung is currently the hardware leader with 27% market share with Xiaomi and Apple taking up 17% and 15%.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance