17:16 08th Jan, 2015
MediaTek Announces Low-Power Chipset Built For Android Wear Devices
With every manufacturer adopting a smartphone chipset, battery life often takes a hit.
MediaTek has finally announced a new chipset that has been built from the ground up specially for Android Wear-powered smartwatches. The chipset called the MT2601 has been designed to cater to the needs of smartwatches that need to be big on battery life and deliver a smooth experience, while swiping through all those menus.
The MediaTek MT2601 has been designed to be more power efficient compared to the current chipsets used in smartwatches these days. That would include the Snapdragon 400 which was built for budget smartphones but has been used over and over with just two (out of the four) cores on.
Apart from Toshiba and Qualcomm (yes they are working on one) there is almost no other manufacturer that is available to cater to the needs of the Android Wear-powered smartwatches; which is why we now have MediaTek. The chipset has a dual-core architecture with the ARM Cortex-A7 CPU cores clocked at 1.2GHz each. There is a Mali-400 MP GPU, and the chipset supports qHD resolutions that is sufficient for a smartwatch.
While the smartwatch war is at its peak, with more and more smartphone manufacturers releasing their companion wearables (including Apple), it indeed makes sense to cash in at the right moment. With MediaTek entering the game we could expect low cost chipsets as well. That aside, lets hope that the performance is stable as MediaTek chipsets are known for their shaky performance.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance