10:37 02nd Jul, 2014
Google Acquires Music Streaming Service Songza
The deal comes soon after Google's arch rivals Apple paid $3.2 billion for Beats to boost its own music streaming prowess.
Google has acquired music streaming service Songza, for what financial experts are referring to as a “boat load of money”. The deal comes soon after the company's arch rival Apple paid a whopping $3.2 billion for Beats, in an attempt to boost its own music streaming world.
Songza, like Beats, relies heavily on human curation to build playlists for its users. The service collects contextual data about its users only to decide, which playlists are most suited for them at any given time, but the putting together of tracks is done by humans rather than algorithms.
According to Engadget, the service for now will function normally, but you can expect to see a similar curation service being rolled out on Google's Play Music and YouTube. Songza's strengths in contextualising data is what probably makes it such a perfect match for Google, and similarly the other way around.
Google has already mastered the methods of serving you specific information at a specific time, who's to say they can't do the same with the music you listen to. Integration of Songza with services like Google Now could not only see your playlists change according to the time of the day and your mood, but also the weather.
The full terms of the deal between Google and Songza aren't known yet, but its timing makes it look like Google's firing away at Apple. While Songza could do with a pile of highly contextual data about its users, Google could learn the art of human data curation until it creates artificial intelligence.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance