12:59 11th Mar, 2015
Google May Include ‘Multi-Window’ In Future Android Updates
A framework code commit in AOSP indicated the presence of the same.
Google’s framework code commit in AOSP (Android Open Source Project) seems to be revealing a lot these days. The recent discovery involves the presence of a multi-windows in upcoming builds, something that so far has only been implemented in Samsung’s bigger smartphones.
The commit confirms that the words “multiwindows” exists but the feature is simply disabled for now.
Samsung clearly came up with the idea and now Google thinks that may be its time to do the same. Especially now that the Nexus range is getting bigger with 6 inch displays.
Multi-Window on a Samsung smartphone.
Indeed adding a multi-window feature in the next big Android update won’t hurt as the feature at least makes those gigantic displays useful.
Android’s DPI problems with apps are indeed beginning to pop-up lately. This is more so, because apps scale only with smartphones and tablets and nothing in between.
What we are talking about is the fact that a 6 inch Nexus 6 displays a similar (not the same) amount of text as on a Nexus 5.
[Also Read: Motorola Nexus 6 Review: A "Big" Hassle]
Compare this to iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 Plus, where the apps are gradually being optimised to take advantage of the bigger screen with more lines of text (if not for the new iPad like landscape mode).
Skype for iOS running on different models of the iPhone.
So yes, multi-window coming from Google itself is a great idea, although we aren’t sure about what Samsung feels about the same.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (May, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (May, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (May, 2017)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000