01:23 25th Aug, 2012
Sony Xperia SL With Android 4.0 And 4.3" Screen Officially Revealed
Basically an upgraded version of the Xperia S, with a newer OS and faster 1.7 GHz CPU.
A few days ago, the Sony Xperia S was added to the Android Open Source Project. The inclusion of Sony's flagship phone to the AOSP project makes it the first device to be taken up without any involvement from Google. The technical lead of AOSP, Jean-Baptiste Queru, announced that the handset was chosen because it's a powerful device that sports an unlockable bootloader, and since Sony has been friendly to the project from the start. If the experiment goes as planned, then Xperia S owners could have a Nexus-like device that receives updates just a few days after the release of a new Android version.
Meanwhile, its successor the Xperia SL has quietly been put up on the Sony website. The specification sheet remains almost the same as the Xperia S, apart from the inclusion of a dual-core 1.7 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 processor and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out of the box. The detailed specifications are as follows:
- Quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); quad-band 3G (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz).
- 4.3" scratch-resistant, shatter-proof TFT capacitive touchscreen with 16 million colours and 1280x720 pixels (342 ppi).
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 3D and motion gaming, Social networking support, PlayStation certified.
- 1.7 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 dual-core CPU, 1 GB RAM.
- 32 GB internal storage (26 GB available), no microSD slot.
- 12.1 megapixel camera with auto-focus, Pulsed LED flash, Exmor R mobile CMOS sensor, Aperture f/2.4, HD video recording (1080p), 3D Sweep Panorama, Face recognition and Smile detection.
- Front-facing camera (1.3 megapixel, 720p).
- Micro-USB 2.0, Wi-Fi with hotspot functionality, HDMI-Out, DLNA certified, Assisted GPS, Bluetooth, NFC.
- Supported video formats: 3GPP, MP4; Supported audio formats: MP3, 3GPP, MP4, SMF, WAV, OTA, OGG, FLAC.
- FM radio with RDS, 3.5 mm audio jack for headphones.
- 5" x 2.5" x 0.4" (10.6 mm), 144 grammes.
- Up to 8.25 hours of talk time, 410 hours of standby time, 33 hours of music, 6.5 hours of video.
- Available colours: Black, White, Pink, Silver.
As of this writing, no specific launch date or price had been made available. Check out the gallery below for more product images.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (November, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (September, 2018)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (September, 2018)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000