01:23 25th Aug, 2012
Sony Xperia SL With Android 4.0 And 4.3" Screen Officially Revealed
Basically an upgraded version of the Xperia S, with a newer OS and faster 1.7 GHz CPU.
A few days ago, the Sony Xperia S was added to the Android Open Source Project. The inclusion of Sony's flagship phone to the AOSP project makes it the first device to be taken up without any involvement from Google. The technical lead of AOSP, Jean-Baptiste Queru, announced that the handset was chosen because it's a powerful device that sports an unlockable bootloader, and since Sony has been friendly to the project from the start. If the experiment goes as planned, then Xperia S owners could have a Nexus-like device that receives updates just a few days after the release of a new Android version.
Meanwhile, its successor the Xperia SL has quietly been put up on the Sony website. The specification sheet remains almost the same as the Xperia S, apart from the inclusion of a dual-core 1.7 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 processor and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out of the box. The detailed specifications are as follows:
- Quad-band GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); quad-band 3G (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz).
- 4.3" scratch-resistant, shatter-proof TFT capacitive touchscreen with 16 million colours and 1280x720 pixels (342 ppi).
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 3D and motion gaming, Social networking support, PlayStation certified.
- 1.7 GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 dual-core CPU, 1 GB RAM.
- 32 GB internal storage (26 GB available), no microSD slot.
- 12.1 megapixel camera with auto-focus, Pulsed LED flash, Exmor R mobile CMOS sensor, Aperture f/2.4, HD video recording (1080p), 3D Sweep Panorama, Face recognition and Smile detection.
- Front-facing camera (1.3 megapixel, 720p).
- Micro-USB 2.0, Wi-Fi with hotspot functionality, HDMI-Out, DLNA certified, Assisted GPS, Bluetooth, NFC.
- Supported video formats: 3GPP, MP4; Supported audio formats: MP3, 3GPP, MP4, SMF, WAV, OTA, OGG, FLAC.
- FM radio with RDS, 3.5 mm audio jack for headphones.
- 5" x 2.5" x 0.4" (10.6 mm), 144 grammes.
- Up to 8.25 hours of talk time, 410 hours of standby time, 33 hours of music, 6.5 hours of video.
- Available colours: Black, White, Pink, Silver.
As of this writing, no specific launch date or price had been made available. Check out the gallery below for more product images.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones