Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
10:54 23rd Aug, 2012
Micromax Launches Android 4.0 Superfone Canvas A100, Pixel A90, And Funbook Pro Tablet
The 10" tablet and 5" A100 are both priced at Rs 10,000, while the 4.3" Super AMOLED A90 can be bought for Rs 13,000.
Micromax has officially launched its Superfone Canvas A100 and Superfone Pixel A90 phones in India. Both handsets run Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out of the box, and offer dual-SIM (GSM) functionality. Despite being an entry-level smartphone, the A100 packs in a 5" screen — looks like it wants to be the poor man's Samsung GALAXY Note. The phone also has a 5 mp camera and is powered by a 1 GHz CPU. To view the detailed specs of this device, head over to our earlier news story about the phone. The handset is priced at Rs 10,000, which I think is good value for money considering its ultra-large screen. Going by recent reader feedback about the company though, there are some concerns regarding the after-sales service for defective phones. Hence, it's a good idea to locate a service centre close to you first and enquire about their repair and parts replacement policy before taking the plunge.
Moving on, the press release states that the A90 comes with a 1 GHz dual-core CPU and 4.3" Super AMOLED screen that can render 480x800 pixels with 262K colours. This seems wrong, since AMOLED displays can usually render 16 million colours. Moreover, the product page does not mention anything about a dual-core CPU, so there's some confusion about these facts. Unfortunately, since Micromax's PR representatives are clueless about their products and no one ever picks up the phone at the company HQ, it's nigh impossible to sort out this muddle. For now, the confirmed specs are as follows:
- Dual-SIM functionality, quad-band GSM (850 \ 900 \ 1800 \ 1900 MHz), dual-band 3G (WCDMA 900 \ 2100 MHz).
- 4.3" Super AMOLED multi-touch screen with pixel dimensions of 480x800.
- 1 GHz Powercore CPU, 512 MB RAM.
- Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, accelerometer, light sensor.
- FM radio, micro-USB 2.0 port, 3.5 mm jack, 32 GB microSD card slot.
- 8 mp rear camera with LED flash, 0.3 mp front camera, supports night mode and video recording.
- A.I.S.H.A voice assistant (much like the iPhone's Siri), social networking support, TOI news app.
- 4.9" x 2.5" x 0.4" (10.6 mm).
- 1600 mAh battery with claimed talk time of 5 hours.
Due to the dual-core CPU and AMOLED screen, the A90 Pixel is three grand dearer than the A100.
Micromax Superfone Canvas A100 and Pixel A90.
Apart from these two phones, Micromax has also unveiled a 10" tablet, dubbed as the Funbook Pro. As reported earlier, it's powered by a 1.2 GHz Cortex-A8 CPU coupled with a Mali-400 GPU. For the other specs, read our earlier news post. The Funbook is priced at Rs 10,000 and comes bundled with a Tata Photon Plus 3G dongle at a discounted price of Rs 500. Additionally, buyers will be offered 1 GB of free data for the first two months. For students, Micromax also offers interactive study material in the CBSE syllabus for classes I to XII. Keep in mind though that these course packages have to be purchased separately, and are priced at Rs 800 each.
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 (July, 2014)
- Top Smartphones Under Rs 20,000 (August, 2014)
- Top Smartphones For Business Users
- Best Gaming Smartphones Available In India
- Five Affordable Portable Media Players For Music Lovers
- Top Quad-Core Phones Under Rs 10,000 (August, 2014)
- Top Five Tablets Under Rs 10,000