15:38 07th Aug, 2015
Asus Plans To Make Smartphones In India
The company aims first in bringing the entire supply chain here in the country to make manufacturing process much easier.
Lately, many smartphone companies including Xiaomi and Motorola have been making the buzz about starting their manufacturing units in India as part of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' movement.
Joining this bandwagon is the popular Taiwanese company Asus which is now mulling manufacturing in India which currently has a share of about 2% in the Indian smartphone market. However, the company recently announced that it aims to raise it to 5% by 2016.
Asus recently announced that it is focusing on getting the entire supply chain here in India and not just assembly so that the manufacturing process can be much easier for the company.
The company is said to have already set up an internal team to study the prospects of manufacturing in India and the discussions are already going on with its manufacturing partners.
[Also Read: The Future Of Mobile Internet Looks Bright In India]
It is worth noting that Asus is among the growing list of global smartphone makers including Xiaomi, Motorola and Gionee that are considering manufacturing in India where the government is pushing its 'Make in India' initiative.
India as being one of the fastest growing smartphone markets globally and Asus has announced that it aims at getting in to the top four position in the next one year from the last quarter of this year (Oct-Dec) and if the company accomplishes this, India will be contributing nearly 10 - 15 % of the company's global revenues.
To recap, Asus launched a slew of handsets under its Zenfone 2 series, priced between Rs 9,999 and Rs 22,999. It also launched three versions of its tablet, ZenPad. It has launched Intel Atom processor-based Zenfone 2 Deluxe with a crystal designed back, a selfie phone featuring 13 MP front camera, Zenfone 2 Laser with fast image adjustment feature and a new accessory Lolliflash, among other products.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week