18:04 20th May, 2015
Apple Renews Maps Contract With TomTom
Lets just hope it looks at other providers as well.
While Apple fans are still searching for a sign of hope that Apple will acquire Nokia’s HERE Maps, the company has once again proved them wrong. Today TomTom, one of Apple’s providers of its Maps app’s data overlay, made an announcement that Apple has renewed its contract with the firm.
Indeed TomTom is a special company to work with, especially when it comes to navigation. The problem however is data; and that is something that Apple is clearly missing with its current Maps app.
Location data is what makes Google Maps and HERE Maps applications on the App Store worthy of those millions of downloads. It was the reason why everyone loved Apple’s earlier Maps offering before as well.
Let’s just hope that we hear some better news about Apple Maps at the upcoming WWDC in June this year, as last year’s keynote simply skipped on the topic altogether.
The new Apple Maps app was introduced with iOS 6 but seems to have gone nowhere even though app developers have been pretty excited about the same. May be its time Apple simply removed the app from its default app selection.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance