17:47 29th Apr, 2015
Cyanogen And OnePlus Part Ways
This is indeed in the best interest of both companies.
Cyanogen and OnePlus are breaking all their ties and moving on. So says a report that was published by PC World. Cyanogen’s chief technology officer Steve Kondik said that both companies had parted ways and that both of them just happened to have different goals in terms of software.
It all started when Cyanogen signed up with Indian smartphone maker Micromax for its successful YU branded smartphones. A deal that turned out to be good for local Micromax and sour for OnePlus who had just set foot in the Indian market.
From then on it was indeed court cases after court cases, post which both decided to head in different directions with OnePlus building its own Oxygen OS for its OnePlus One smartphone.
Cyanogen is still proud about the fact that OnePlus would not have gone too far without the Cyanogen branding and software.
“Without Cyanogen, OnePlus would have sold like one device in international markets,” Cyanogen CEO, Kirt McMaster said in an interview. “Essentially they built their brand on the back of Cyanogen.”
Still then it was a learning experience for both companies as OnePlus now makes it own software and will continue to work on it until it is perfected.
Cyanogen, however will continue to support the OnePlus One smartphone.
OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei too agreed with the fact that the company would not be where it is today without Cyanogen.
On the other hand Cyanogen has a rosy future ahead of them. They want to build a Google-less Android and have found big sponsors (including Microsoft) to pull off the same. The same partners that will help push out Cyanogen to a massive number of users, way more than what OnePlus has on offer.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones