17:10 25th Sep, 2014
Sony Xperia Z3 And Z3 Compact Launched In India
While the smartphones do come with a refreshed look and hardware, it somehow does not justify the price tag.
Sony has finally launched the Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z3 Compact smartphones in India. Both handsets come with a refreshed design and also include some updated hardware as well. The successors to the Xperia Z2 and the Z1 Compact were announced just a few weeks ago and it seems that Sony is indeed in a hurry to push out the smartphones worldwide.
The new smartphones come with refreshed design that are now a lot smoother and rounded along the edges.
Gone are the design oddities of the Xperia Z2 with the gaps between the display’s glass and the frame. The colour options have gone from the basic black, white and purple to a sober, copper, white, moss green and black. Sony has even managed to make the handset a few grams lighter and a millimetre thinner from side to side. Surprisingly, the device is also PlayStation Certified which is a bit of shocker as Sony earlier announced that it could not be certifying any more devices. Indeed the certification brings a couple of goodies, including the ability to mirror (Remote Play) your PS4 console games on to your phone and use your PS4 game pad as a controller.
As far as the specifications go, the Xperia Z3:
- Comes with 5.2 inch Full HD touch screen display
- Sports an upgraded 2.5 GHz MSM8974AC Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC coupled with 3 GB of RAM and 16 GB of ROM that is expandable
- Includes a 20.7 MP camera on the back and the 2.2 MP front-facing one so that it does not steal the limelight from the recently announced Xperia C3
- The handset runs on Android KitKat 4.4 and is powered by a 3100 mAh battery
Next up we have the flagship for normal-sized hands called the Z3 Compact. Sony went ahead with the title ‘Compact’ and not ‘Mini’ as the handset packs in quite a punch. Again the Xperia Z3 Compact is also PlayStation Certified and includes the Remote Play feature from its elder sibling. As for the specs of the Z3 Compact, they remain the same as the Z3, with the only differences being the smaller 4.6 inch display, 2 GB of RAM and the 2600 mAh battery. Also thanks to the smaller size, the smartphone is lighter but grows thicker simply because it crams in so much into the smaller footprint.
Sony also unveiled the Android Wear-powered SmartWatch 3 and the Smartband Talk. Both of these smartwatches will be available later this year, while pricing is yet to be announced.
The Z3 is available for sale today for price tag of Rs 51,990 while the vibrant Z3 Compact is priced Rs 44,990. Indeed the prices are a bit high, but considering that you get great build-quality and the latest hardware, it kind of makes up for all of it.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones