16:06 27th Aug, 2014
Microsoft Could Offer Incentives To Make Users Upgrade To Windows 9
Other details suggest the enterprise version of Windows 9 will do away with the Metro UI altogether
Microsoft is expected to unveil its Windows 9 desktop OS on September 30, and we can gather from previous reports that the new software will bring back focus to non-touch devices. A new leak however suggests what it might cost users to upgrade to Windows 9, with Microsoft planning to offer some neat incentives.
According to Russian leaker WOZR, users of Windows 8.1 will either get a free upgrade to Windows 9, or will be available through a special offer. For users who bought a retail or OEM version of Windows 8, the company will let them upgrade to Windows 9 for as little as $20.
An earlier report by ZDNet's Mary J Foley suggested that Windows 9 could be made a free upgrade for Windows XP, Windows Vista and even Windows 7 users. While the new report doesn't confirm this, it does say that Microsoft is planning to offer an “awesome” incentive to users of XP to get them to upgrade.
[Also read: Cortana To Make The Jump To Desktops With Windows 9]
The other big news that WOZR seems to have is in relation to the enterprise version of Windows 9, which supposedly does away with the Metro UI altogether. Apparently Microsoft will not release a test version of Windows 9 Pro alongside the software for non-professionals, which is expected to be out on September 30.
Also, just when we thought Windows RT was dead, WOZR says the company is working on a Windows 9 RT of which a test build is already ready. If true, the new version of this much hated software will arrive on an unannounced Surface 3 tablet.
The leak contains little in terms of new features that Microsoft will introduce with Windows 9, but does talk about support for 3D mode on UHD screens. The other more substantial feature could be the ability to create system backups on cloud, which has got us a bit excited.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance