12:59 22nd Aug, 2014
Microsoft Could Unveil Windows 9 As Soon As September 30
Following the official 'first-look' Microsoft will release a beta version for early adopters, a public launch is expected in 2015.
We've been hearing a lot about Microsoft's upcoming desktop OS, Windows 9/Treshold, but so far its only been via leaks and rumors. According to The Verge all that could soon change, with news of Microsoft officially unveiling its latest bit of software as soon as September 30.
The report adds that the company will make available a Windows 9 preview for early adopters soon after the unveiling, with a stable release coming for the public sometime next year. This is in keeping with previous rumors about the launch of Windows 9, however, the new report gives us a pretty certain timeline.
It is widely expected that Microsoft will roll-back some of the overtly aggressive touch features that made a debut on Windows 8. Keeping with that theme, users will get back the Start Menu and lose the Charms Bar – which works well using touch, but is an absolute pain to use with a non-touch PC.
Other leaks point at Windows 9 being this shape-shifting OS, that conforms depending on the type of hardware its running on. Based on the availability of a touch screen (like on a tablet) the OS will unlock features that work well with touch, but given its absence, those features will remain locked.
Other than that, we can expect Microsoft to work on the concept of Modern Windows (aka Metro) improving its non-touch experience. Other than that, we're going to have to wait for the Windows 9 unveiling to see what new features the legendary OS-maker brings to the table.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week