16:18 26th Jun, 2013
New Options For Windows 8.1 Start Button Showcased Ahead Of Preview Release
New options include hassle-free shut down and boot to desktop.
The comeback of the Start button on the Windows 8.1 has been well accepted by most, but little is known on its working. The Release Preview of Windows 8.1 is set to be available starting today, after its launch at the Microsoft Build Developer Conference 2013. A couple of days ago, Microsoft had released the preview version of Windows Server 2012 R2 for TechNet subscribers, and users have been posting screenshots of the preview version. One such screenshot released by a user Robert McLaws on Twitter reveals new options added to the Start button.
Details gathered by ExtremeTech suggests right-clicking on the newly-added Start button shows a quick access menu with a Shut down option, with different options to Shut Down Windows. The Metro Start screen is still accessible by left-clicking on the start button. If you want the Windows 7 style start button though, you still have to get third party apps for it.
The boot to desktop, which most of the people have been waiting for, has been added as an option in the taskbar properties window, under a new tab called "Navigation". The new tab includes additional options such as show desktop background as the Start screen background and option to search everywhere instead of just the apps while searching from the Apps view.
These are some of the small changes, which have been noted as of now and more on this will be available after today's Build Conference. Microsoft is expected to showcase more on Windows Phone and Xbox with the main focus being on Windows 8.1. What all can we expect from the next update of Windows? Read more here: Microsoft Windows 8.1: What To Expect.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens