21:30 30th Nov, 2012
Microsoft Surface Pro Prices Start At $900, Will Be Available In US Stores January 2013
Runs Windows 8 Pro on 3rd-gen Intel Core i5 processors; available in 64 GB and 128 GB variants.
In sync with the initial success of Windows 8, Microsoft has revealed the pricing and availability date for its Surface Pro tablet. A post on the official Microsoft blog says the Surface Pro 64 GB will cost $899 (Rs 49,000), and its 128 GB version will be priced at $999 (Rs 55,000). These prices are for the standalone version only; Touch Covers and Type Covers are sold separately at $120 (Rs 6500) and $130 (Rs 7000) respectively.
The Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in US stores starting January 2013. The Surface tablets were announced in June, and last month we saw the Surface with Windows RT go on sale. There's still no official word on India availability. (The 32 GB version of the Surface with Windows RT is available on eBay India for about Rs 40,000, though.)
Here are the tech specs of the Surface Pro:
- Windows 8 Pro capable of running Windows 7 desktop apps along with Modern UI style apps.
- 3rd-gen Intel Core i5 processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and 4GB RAM dual-channel memory.
- 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display with resolution of 1920x1080 pixels and 10-point multi-touch.
- Pen input with Palm Block technology (included with purchase).
- Internal Storage: 64 GB or 128 GB.
- 2x 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facing, with TruColor.
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology.
- Full-size USB 3.0, microSDXC card slot, Headset jack, Mini DisplayPort, Cover port.
- Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass.
- 2x microphone, Stereo speakers.
- Included apps: Windows Mail and Windows Messaging, SkyDrive, Windows Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and Xbox Games.
- Dimensions: 10.81" (h) x 6.81" (w) x 0.53" (d); weighs approx 907 grams.
- Battery: 42 Wh.
- 1-year limited hardware warranty.
- Available colours: Dark Titanium.
The backup and standby times haven't been specified, but the Surface Pro will apparently have half the battery life of the Surface with Windows RT. While the battery is larger — 42 Wh as opposed to 32 Wh — the specs on the Pro are more powerful, too. We'll have to wait till January to see actual battery life figures.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance