29th Oct 2015
So now it is clear that Xiaomi fans will be having a good laugh at OnePlus fans. Well, that’s because OnePlus today announced its all-new OnePlus X which also happens to be a Xiaomi spec by spec, well almost.
One thing is clear, all those who shelled out Rs 19,999 for a OnePlus One yesterday, will feel a bit cheated. This is because the OnePlus X comes with hardware specs similar to the OnePlus One (minus the 5.5 inch display).
There is something that is a lot more similar (even in terms of design) to the just announced OnePlus X and that is Xiaomi’s year old Mi 4.
But the similarities do not end there and there's this one tiny detail that many may skip on (more on that later).
Let’s take a look at the specs of the OnePlus X:
- We get a 5 inch 1080p AMOLED display (IPS on the Mi 4)
- Quad Core Snapdragon 801 with adreno 330 GPU and 3 GB of RAM (ditto)
- 16 GB with expandable storage (only the memory expansion is missing but you can get the 64 GB version for Rs 17,999)
- 13 MP primary camera with F/2.2 aperture (brighter ƒ/1.8 aperture on the Mi 4) and an 8MP front facing module)
- 2500 mAh battery (bigger 3080mAh battery on the Mi 4)
- Dual SIM with Hybrid slot (nano SIM)
- And you get that new USB Type C connector at the bottom
- Oxygen OS Android 5.1.1 that is almost stock in appearance
Now that we have gone through the specs, OnePlus is literally selling you a Xiaomi Mi 4. And they even look similar (like the iPhone 4s and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact had a child).
But you do get some handy extras on the OnePlus X.
There’s the Alert Slider to change profiles on the fly without delving into the notifications tray.
You also get a expandable memory up to 128 GB on the X but it is a hybrid SIM system (nano SIM or SD card tray). So this may be a deal breaker for customers looking for a dual SIM handset.
And all of the above boils down to the price.
The OnePlus X is available for Rs 16,999 for Onyx finish while the Ceramic finish model will be available for Rs 22,999. Oh yes and did we forget to mention the invite system that applies to the X as well? (OnePlus has just opened the registration window for the first 5000)
Xiaomi Mi 4
Now comes the year old Xiaomi Mi 4 that comes with equivalent or better hardware. But you can buy one right now for Rs 14,999 for the 16 GB version and Rs 17,999 for the 64 GB version (no expandable memory out here).
More importantly, now that the OnePlus X is out, Xiaomi may deliver a nasty price cut to keep sales going. So Xiaomi may have the upper hand in a month's time.
But there is one little detail that many may skip on, and that is 4G radios. And while Xiaomi did not feel the need for them when it launched early this year, OnePlus has smartly included the same in its package. And this is going to cost Xiaomi.
Its all about 4G Bands Vs Price in this battle
While both smartphones do have hardware that is more than a year old, we must admit that the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset (coupled with 3 GB of RAM) is more than sufficient for any of your Android needs, be it gaming, apps or multimedia.
Keeping the above in mind, the OnePlus X is the better smartphone with lesser specs because you basically get an Mi 4 with expandable memory, 4G radios and stock Android UI. Beat this HTC One A9!
Makes one wonder, whatever happened to the OnePlus One that comes with similar specs? Will OnePlus finally cull the now retired flagship killer?
The Chinese Connection: OnePlus X Vs Xiaomi Mi 4
There is just one tiny detail that sets the two apart.
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband
- Skullcandy Launches Noise Reduction Earbuds at RS. 7999
- Zebronics launches TWS earphone “Zeb-Sound Bomb”
- HiFuture launches the longest battery true wireless earbuds in India
- Digisol Launches Smart Switch for Smart Cities
- Airtel announces Revised Tariffs for Mobile customers
- Portronics launches iLUMI, an LED lamp with inbuilt Bluetooth Speaker
- Toreto launches its Remix Series of “USB Wall Charger” with Built-in Bluetooth Speaker
- Launching FINGERS LivMusic Wireless Neckband - Live, Breathe and Absorb Music Non-Stop!
- Techno Launches New Smartphone at Rs.8499