19:24 04th Sep, 2012
Micromax Launches 3.14" Superfone Punk A44 With Android 2.3 For Rs 4500
Gingerbread-based music phone sports 2 mp camera and A.I.S.H.A voice recognition software; ships with neckband headphones.
Micromax has launched its lowest-priced Android thus far, the Superfone Punk A44. The USP of this phone is its claimed superior music playback and the bundled neckband headphones. Running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), this dual-band GSM smartphone is powered by an 800 MHz processor with 512 MB of RAM. It sports a 3.14" capacitive multi-touch display, with pixel dimensions of 240x320. A 2 mp rear camera with multi-shot mode is provided, but without a flash. Its 1200 mAh battery claims to provide a talk time of 4 hours. The phone has dimensions of 4.4" (l) x 2.4" (w) x "0.6 (14.3 mm) (d), making for a compact form factor. Strangely enough, while the press release claims that it's a dual-SIM phone, the product page and pictures show otherwise. I am awaiting a clarification from Micromax about this issue, and will update this information as and when it is received. Meanwhile, here are the confirmed specifications:
- Dual-band GSM (900 \ 1800 MHz), no 3G support.
- Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) with support for Google Play, 800 MHz CPU with 512 MB RAM.
- 3.14" capacitive multi-touch screen.
- 170 MB internal storage, 32 GB microSD card slot.
- 2 mp camera with multi-shot and night modes.
- FM radio, audio and video player, accelerometer.
- Bluetooth 2.0, GPRS, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
- Micro-USB 2.0 port, 3.5 mm jack.
- Neckband headphones.
- 4.4" (l) x 2.4" (w) x "0.6 (14.3 mm) (d).
- 1200 mAh battery with 4 hours talk time and 223 hours standby time.
- Preloaded software includes A.I.S.H.A voice assistant, Facebook, Whatsapp, and TOI news app.
Like others in the series, the handset features A.I.S.H.A (Artificial Intelligence Speech Handset Assistant), which is akin to Apple’s Siri. You can use it to send messages, make calls, update your social network status, or even perform web searches, all just by using your voice. No mention has been made of the internal storage, so you'll most likely need to make use of the external microSD slot, which supports cards up to 32 GB. The device comes preloaded with several apps, and you can download more from the Google Play store.
Apart from the neckband headphones and the self-proclaimed "brilliant sound clarity" (which can only be tested during a review), there is nothing that really sets the Superfone Punk A44 apart from the rest of the pack. The current street price of this phone is Rs 4500, and while it is supposedly available in black and white, the online store carries only the white variant.
- Best Phones Under Rs 10,000 (March, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 20,000 (March, 2017)
- Best Phones Under Rs 30,000 (March, 2017)
- Five Android Apps To Make Your Insta Pop
- 9 Hot Android Smartphones Expected To Hit The Shelves Soon
- 3 Fitness Bands For The Budget Users
- 5 Best Screens From Android Based Smartphones
- The 5 Browser Add-Ons That Everyone Must Have
- Top 5 Pocket Friendly Virtual Reality Headsets
- Top 5 Premium Smartphones Above Rs 30,000