11:40 13th Aug, 2015
Lenovo Releases An Apology For Its Lenovo Service Engine Mess
Claims that it was utilizing a service that Microsoft had made available.
Lenovo has been in news for all the wrong reasons lately. And recently, it was once again, thanks to Microsoft’s all-new and upgraded Windows 10 operating system.
Well if you thought that Samsung was the only PC manufacturer to throttle your Windows 10 updates you can add Lenovo to that list as well.
Turns out that Lenovo was reinstalling its bloatware even after users reportedly wiped the laptops clean for a Windows 10 installation. This was all thanks to a small little piece of BIOS firmware called the Lenovo Service Engine (LSE), one that would install itself on boot, leaving a security hole that could even let malware in.
Lenovo’s intentions were not wrong, it was simply utilizing Microsoft’s Windows Platform Binary Table. A piece of software that lets manufacturers update things at boot.
Sadly for Lenovo, it had not educated its customers about the feature and to make things worse, Microsoft recently released a bunch of updated security guidelines mentioning that its a bad idea.
In short Microsoft along with the security researcher who discovered the loop hole have worked on the problem.
In the statement Lenovo has recommended its customers to update the BIOS to the latest one so as to plug in the massive gap that left their PCs vulnerable to malware attacks.
The PC maker also mentioned that its Think-branded range is safe and that all systems shipped from June onwards have the new BIOS that eliminates the vulnerability.
Earlier this year, Lenovo was in the news for installing an adware program called SuperFish, which made headlines because it was spying on its user’s browsing habits. Lenovo admitted to installing the software and released a software removal tool for the same.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-