Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
18:19 29th Jul, 2015
Nokia Unveils OZO: A Virtual Reality Camera For Content Creators
Can be used to create content for VR headsets such as Oculus Rift.
After the sell-off its handset division to Microsoft, Nokia decided to concentrate its efforts in the network infrastructure business. Apart from that, the Finns also retained the Nokia Advanced Technology department. If you ever wondered why, then we have just got the answer. Nokia has unveiled its virtual reality (VR) camera OZO that lets you create content for VR platforms such as Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
The videos shot on OZO can also be integrated as 360 degree interactive YouTube videos. OnePlus used similar technology to pull-off its virtual reality launch event. The only other product that comes close to Nokia's OZO, is Jump camera rig developed by GoPro. Unlike GoPro's solution though, Nokia OZO has a spherical shape. It looks like a naval mine from a steampunk movie.
OZO captures 3D video through eight synchronized cameras sensors. This enables viewers to enjoy 360 degree view in the video. To make things immersive, OZO can also record spatial audio using its eight microphones. In simple words, you get directional sound inside the virtual reality.
The device is also capable of processing the video on its own. Till now, such videos needed to be stitched in the post products. If not final rendering, this feature will at least be useful for content creators to check the footage right away.
Developed at Nokia facilities in Tampere, Finland, OZO is targeted at studios, production houses, and media and technology companies. Palo Alto-based VR production company Jaunt Inc. has already embraced OZO.
The Nokia OZO is expected to ship in the last quarter of the year. The product will be manufactured in Finland. Since it is targeted at professional content creators, OZO is likely to be expensive for us lesser mortals.
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week