16:38 21st Apr, 2015
Windows 8.1 Update 2 To Bring MKV Video Support To Limited Devices | TechTree.com
Windows 8.1 Update 2 To Bring MKV Video Support To Limited Devices
Currently available only on the Lumia 640 and 640 XL.
While we did have a hands-on with the Lumia 640 at Microsoft’s launch event, we certainly did not notice that the new Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 supports .mkv video files.
WindowsCentral noticed this and has even tested a couple of videos on their Lumia 930 running the Update 2 build and noticed that the phone supports MKV video natively.
This is impressive indeed and goes to show that Microsoft is slowly adding support for more video formats.
Most of you will say that CCPlayer (which is free for Windows Phone) already supports it. But it is indeed good to see that the native Xbox Video app, which was practically useless until now actually supports a format that is commonly used online.
As for the update itself, there is no confirmation about which devices will receive it. The source confirms that apart from the Lumia 640 and the Lumia 640 XL, only the 730 and 830 will be receiving it; leaving the rest out in the cold till Windows 10 arrives.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance