14:12 27th Jan, 2015
Motorola Points To Apple For Missing Fingerprint Scanner On Nexus 6 | TechTree.com
Motorola Points To Apple For Missing Fingerprint Scanner On Nexus 6
Apple had a lot to do with the tech and was heavily investing in it back then.
Motorola it seems, was all geared up to include a fingerprint scanner on the Nexus 6 phablet but as we all know, it did not happen. But as the story has now been revealed to the Telegraph UK, Apple was in part responsible for the same.
Dropbox’s Chief Operating Officer, Dennis Woodside (who was with Motorola back then) seems to have revealed in part that the big dimple on the back of the Nexus was in fact supposed to house a fingerprint scanner. Problem was that Apple was investing into the technology big time and acquired the best supplier of the sensors in the market, leading to Motorola’s decision change. This is why the company is not too keen about fingerprint readers on its devices.
“The secret behind that is that it was supposed to be fingerprint recognition, and Apple bought the best supplier. So the second best supplier was the only one available to everyone else in the industry and they weren’t there yet,” said Woodside.
In fact he goes on to say that it would not have made a big difference to Motorola. This could be attributed to the fact that Google has not placed an emphasis on the technology yet. Leaving Samsung and others to build and market their fingerprint scanners and create software optimisations of their own.
Apple on the other hand took advantage of AuthenTec (the sensor supplier in question) and has completely integrated the same on its wide range of mobile devices.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals