17:29 12th Jan, 2015
Rumour: MediaTek May Soon Bring 12 Core CPUs To Smartphones
Does this make any sense for an Android device?
There are murmurs in the rumour mill about MediaTek working hard to develop a new generation of chipsets. These will feature a lot more cores than what we have in our smartphones today. When we say more we mean in the range of 10 to 12 cores. While that may sound as ridiculous as displays with bent edges, this may indeed be the future of mobile innovation after all.
While the industry seems to be static at best when it comes to innovation in the mobile space, MediaTek being a chipmaker seems to be doing its best to deliver something more at a hardware level. While the extra cores won’t hurt anyone, it certainly makes less sense as even quad-core and octa-core devices these days are not really making any breakthroughs in terms of power consumption.
Processing speeds have gone up and apps do launch a lot faster, but optimisation is key and that is the one thing Android smartphone makers (a platform that MediaTek chipsets are used for) need to work on in terms of software.
On the other side we have Apple who seems to be happy with well optimised apps, dual core chipsets and just 1 GB of RAM (which is the only part that seems to be ageing in way).
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance