10:26 05th Jan, 2015
Xiaomi Announces 64-Bit Redmi 2; Available January 9 In China
It is indeed the price tag that will determine the fate of the device outside China.
Xiaomi has announced its next budget Android offering for 2015. The Chinese company announced the Redmi 2, the successor to the very successful and still selling Redmi 1S smartphone. The device is 64-bit ready and while Android Lollipop is still a distant dream, its the minimal MIUI V6 UX that will keep things refreshed for buyers of the smartphone.
When it comes to the physical design, Xiaomi indeed seems to have worked on it and delivered a refined and polished version of the Redmi 1S. The sharp edges have been rounded off and the LED flash similar to the leaked images has moved to the left of the lens set up. Oh yes, and there are some more colours to choose from this time around. Still then, we are pretty sure that by the time the smartphone reaches the Indian subcontinent, there will only be the white version available.
As for the hardware, they are similar to the leaked specifications as well:
- We get the same 4.7-inch, 1280 x 720 pixels, IPS display found on its successor
- A 64-bit, 1.2 GHz, quad-core, Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 (MSM8916) SoC with 1GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory that is expandable via a micro SD card (up to 32GB).
- There is an 8MP rear camera with an LED Flash on the back, while a 2MP unit takes care of selfies up front
- The device comes with dual SIM 4G LTE/3G, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0
- The Redmi 2 runs MIUI V6 with Android 4.4 KitKat and is powered by a 2200mAh battery
As for the colour options, we get a lot more this time around with white, dark grey, bright yellow, light green and pink said to available in China at launch. The pricing will be around 699 Yuan (approx. 7115 INR) which is obviously sans taxes. The device will begin sales in China on the 9th of January, while we have no news about a global roll out just yet.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance