13:56 07th Mar, 2012
Google's Android Market Becomes Play Store
Rebranded service will be available for devices with Android 2.2 and above.
Google has decided to merge the Android Market, Google Music, Google Movies, and the Google eBookstore, all into one cloud storage service called the Google Play, as posted on its official blog. While the Android Market will now be called the Play Store, Google Music has been rebranded as Play Music, Google Movies as Play Movies, and the Google eBookstore as Play Books. The company has already started rolling out updates to the rebranded services, as applicable, for devices running Android 2.2 and above. With this move in place, users can store up to 20,000 songs for free on the cloud, rent out movies, and download apps as well as ebooks. However, the service is not available for all users in its entirety for now.
Users in the US enjoy full access, while music is not available in Canada and UK. Australians can access books and apps; Japanese can view movies and apps. As far as the rest of us is concerned, we will now be able to use Play Store instead of the Android Market to download free and paid apps for devices powered by the OS.
Considering that all of these Google Android services are already internet-based, merging them into a single entity doesn't really make any difference, especially if implementation is going to be restricted by regions. Instead Google should invest some time for quality management of the existing apps, with several malware apps making rounds. Although it does seem to be on track with it, there are many apps that aren't really up to the mark to help you make the most of your Android devices, and even handset makers agree.
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch