15:42 10th Nov, 2014
HERE Maps Adds Android Lollipop Support With New Update | TechTree.com
HERE Maps Adds Android Lollipop Support With New Update
Changes a few things, but its all for a better offline maps experience that is second to none.
Nokia has been on its own ever since it split ways from Microsoft especially its HERE Maps division that has now been making great progress and moving on to other platforms. With that comes offline maps to a smartphone that people once never thought would be possible -- Samsung. While HERE Maps is still available for Windows Phone, we are pretty sure all of that exclusivity with offline maps being Windows Phone only now no longer exists. Samsung out of all manufacturers had announced its partnership with HERE recently, making offline maps available for both Samsung smartphones powered by Android and even a separate app for its Gear S smartwatch.
Today the HERE team announced that the company has taken the next step towards making the app available on the Google Play Store. The latest beta now available for download via the official blog, now supports Android Lollipop and also adds a number of improvements to the UX that was already a fine piece of kit to begin with.
There are many improvements under the hood, but the major one involves the protection of offline files for both maps and voice that usually got deleted when a user deleted the smartphone’s cache. This meant that everything had to downloaded all over again killing the offline capabilities of the service. There are now more maps available for download (100 countries) and Live traffic information for more than 40 countries. The update will be hitting the Samsung GALAXY App Store in a few days and the HERE Maps team says that it will be going official for all droids via the Play Store shortly.
- DRIFE Begins Operations in Namma Bengaluru
- Sevenaire launches ‘NEPTUNE’ – 24W Portable Speaker with RGB LED Lights
- Inbase launches ‘Urban Q1 Pro’ TWS Earbuds with Smart Touch control in India
- Airtel announces Rs 6000 cashback on purchase of smartphones from leading brands
- 78% of Indians are saving to spend during the festive season and 72% will splurge on gadgets & electronics
- 5 Tips For Buying A TV This Festive Season
- Facebook launches its largest creator education program in India
- 5 educational tech toys for young and aspiring engineers
- Mid-range smartphones emerge as customer favourites this festive season, reveals Amazon survey
- COLORFUL Launches Onebot M24A1 AIO PC for Professionals