Alnoor M Peermohamed
10:29 02nd Sep, 2014
Google India Sends Out Invites For An Event On September 15
While the company hasn't said what the event is about, it's largely expected to be the launch of the Android One program
Google India has sent out media invites for an event to be held on September 15 that says, “block your date for an exciting new announcement from Google”. While the company didn't divulge any further details, it is widely expected that Google will unveil the first Android One handset/handsets in India at the event.
Previous leaks have suggested the first Android One smartphones will be launched by the end of September, and the event should serve as an official unveiling of the program. In the invite, Google has pointed out that more details will be available closer to the date, so it shouldn't be long before we know for sure.
Google has tied up with five manufacturers – Micromax, Karbonn, Spice, Intex and Celkon – to bring Android One smartphones to the market. The goal of the program is to produce highly capable Android devices in the sub-$100 (Rs 6,000) smartphone segment, but signs point to the initial lot of phones overshooting that target.
Android One devices will run an unadulterated version of Android, with Google handling the entire software side of things. This means updates will be rolled out directly from the company in record time, rather than going through manufacturers which often results in long waiting periods and a substandard experience.
In many ways Android One can be considered the future of the entire Android mobile platform, where hardware manufacturers have no control over the software. For the sake of differentiation, Google's partners could turn to what Motorola has been doing, releasing specialized apps for its own handsets and adding value.
Android One isn't expected to be largely different from the regular Android software, although Google could turn off things such as UI animations, etc. The earlier leak also suggested that Android One could get the Android L update sometime in October, which is incredibly close to the launch of the new software.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones