10:57 11th Aug, 2014
Jolla Looks To Scoop Up Nokia Employees Laid Off By Microsoft
Given the company's close links with the erstwhile mobile phone giant, the company says it's very interested in gaining new talent.
Finnish smartphone manufacturer Jolla says it's interested in scooping up ex-Nokia employees who've been affected in the most recent round of lay-offs. Nokia's handset division, which was recently acquired by Microsoft, will bear the brunt of downsizing that will amount to 18,000 job losses over the next year.
"What comes to the Microsoft job cuts: majority of our employees have a Nokia background, and we are always interested in new talent," said Juhani Lassila, Head of Communications at Jolla, according to a PTI report.
Jolla was founded by ex-Nokia employees and a majority of the company's staff is made up by people with a background in working for the erstwhile mobile phone giant. The company recently announced its entry into the Indian market, and will soon launch its first device that will be sold exclusively through Snapdeal.com.
Microsoft acquired Nokia's devices and services arm in April this year for $7.2 billion, and has been quick to address the issue of mounting losses. In July, the Redmond-based giant announced it was slashing 18,000 jobs, from which about 12,500 of the affected employees would be from its new handset division.
The core team at Jolla was formed out of Nokia employees that were engaged in developing the Meego platform, in partnership with chip giant Intel. When the platform was dumped by Stephen Elop in 2011, in favour of Microsoft's Windows Phone OS, the founding stone for Jolla was laid.
The manufacturer has now developed its own software, Sailfish OS, which is based on Google's Android mobile operating system. In terms of hardware, Jolla has developed a unique system referred to as the “Other Half” that gives users a level of hardware customization by swapping out the back cover.
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-
- ADCOM Launches “Vision” - LED Headphones for Ultimate Gamers
- LAVA Launches Z71 with Dedicated Google Assistant Key
- Detel launches Amaze – Truly Wireless Bluetooth Speaker in India
- Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ crosses One million users
- Fujifilm India unfold its innovation prowess by showcasing Photo Imaging Product Portfolio at CEIF 2020
- DOLBY RAISES THE BAR FOR IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCES AT CES 2020