10:57 11th Aug, 2014
Jolla Looks To Scoop Up Nokia Employees Laid Off By Microsoft
Given the company's close links with the erstwhile mobile phone giant, the company says it's very interested in gaining new talent.
Finnish smartphone manufacturer Jolla says it's interested in scooping up ex-Nokia employees who've been affected in the most recent round of lay-offs. Nokia's handset division, which was recently acquired by Microsoft, will bear the brunt of downsizing that will amount to 18,000 job losses over the next year.
"What comes to the Microsoft job cuts: majority of our employees have a Nokia background, and we are always interested in new talent," said Juhani Lassila, Head of Communications at Jolla, according to a PTI report.
Jolla was founded by ex-Nokia employees and a majority of the company's staff is made up by people with a background in working for the erstwhile mobile phone giant. The company recently announced its entry into the Indian market, and will soon launch its first device that will be sold exclusively through Snapdeal.com.
Microsoft acquired Nokia's devices and services arm in April this year for $7.2 billion, and has been quick to address the issue of mounting losses. In July, the Redmond-based giant announced it was slashing 18,000 jobs, from which about 12,500 of the affected employees would be from its new handset division.
The core team at Jolla was formed out of Nokia employees that were engaged in developing the Meego platform, in partnership with chip giant Intel. When the platform was dumped by Stephen Elop in 2011, in favour of Microsoft's Windows Phone OS, the founding stone for Jolla was laid.
The manufacturer has now developed its own software, Sailfish OS, which is based on Google's Android mobile operating system. In terms of hardware, Jolla has developed a unique system referred to as the “Other Half” that gives users a level of hardware customization by swapping out the back cover.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance