10:14 24th Jul, 2014
Xiaomi May Have Moved Just 10,000 Units At Flash Sale
We still got to hand it to them for delivering good value for money for the hardware that the Mi 3 packs in.
We expected some record breaking figures at the Xiaomi flash sale that took place a day ago, and Xiaomi did not fail us. It’s Mi 3 handset sold out in less than 40 minutes and that for a manufacturer who has never stepped on to Indian soil, it is quite an achievement. Apparently the figures behind that jaw-dropping time frame were never revealed but insiders say that the Chinese electronics maker moved just 10,000 units.
10,000 may not seem like a large number internationally. But considering that about 1,00,000 buyers lined-up for the sale, we expected Xiaomi to at least reach out to a half of them. Still then it is indeed a big number for an new comer to the Indian market that is literally filled to the brim with local and foreign brands and make such a dent.
The handset’s secret to success was indeed the presence of the Snapdragon 800 processor along with a solid metal construction that cut it for many Indian buyers. None of the local brands deliver anything close to the Mi 3 in the same price bracket. Gionee would be the only other smartphone maker (again from China) to compete with its Elife E7 which still retails for about 27,000 INR. Well, next sale is coming soon and hopefully Xiaomi can cater to a wider audience this time around. Local brands and foreign smartphone makers like Samsung should indeed be worried.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones