Alnoor M Peermohamed
15:34 17th Jul, 2014
Microsoft Is "Well Behind" Oculus In Developing Its Own VR Headset
A new report suggests that development of the so-called Xbox headset is still in its early stages.
Microsoft, given its interests in gaming hardware with the Xbox, is one among the prime contenders in the world of virtual reality headsets. However, TechRadar reports that while the company is indeed working on virtual reality, it's far behind rivals Oculus and Sony right now.
The report cites a source familiar with the developments at Microsoft who said the company VR headset was still in the “early stages” of development. Currently that's pretty much all we know about Microsoft's device, but there have been signs of the company investing in it.
The benefits of an Xbox headset are obvious, with the device pairing up to the Xbox gaming console sort of how the Kinect does now. Rumours of a device in the works have been seeping in since the start of this year, with a demonstration expected at E3.
While that didn't happen, the latest news is another letdown for Xbox fans and gamers looking forward to VR in general. The erstwhile tech giant seems to have been caught off guard with quite a few new developments – smartwatches and now VR – in the tech world, with the obvious consequences losing out on initial buzz sales.
- Philips 3.1 and 2.1 Channel Soundbars with Wireless Subwoofer launched
- Sony India launches a digital voice recorder ICD-UX570F
- Amazon Launches Fire TV Edition Smart TVs in India with Onida
- Supercharge Radeon Gameplay with AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition
- BOSE AR EXPERIENCES NOW AVAILABLE IN THE OFFICIAL STAR WARS APP
- Nokia 7.1 joins Nokia 9 PureView and Nokia 8.1 on Android 10
- HiFuture unveils Olymbuds, the Most Comfortable True Wireless Earbuds in India today at just Rs. 3,999/-
- Sennheiser Launches Momentum Headphones for Rs.34,990
- Launching FINGERS Chic Dual.D Wireless Neckband earphone
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband