Alnoor M Peermohamed
10:39 17th Jul, 2014
Microsoft Says Xbox One Sales "More Than Doubled" In June
What led to the rise? All signs point to the new $399 Kinect-less Xbox One that began shipping recently.
Tech giant Microsoft on Thursday announced that it witnessed a massive spike in sales of its Xbox gaming consoles for the month of June. While the company didn't release absolute sales figures, it simply mentioned that sales of its Xbox One “more than doubled” in the US, when compared to sales in the month of May.
Microsoft last announced sales figures of the Xbox One back in April, with the company claiming to have sold 115,000 consoles that month. It isn't clear why the company declined from sharing sales figures, but it is expected that there could have been a huge drop in sales during May making the doubling less impressive.
While Microsoft didn't specifically point what led to the growth in sales, it is regarded that the cheaper Xbox One console that ships without the Kinect sensor did the trick. The $100 drop in price was apparently enough to get sales back up again, but public anticipation for the device is what could have led to the presumed decline in May.
The Xbox One's chief rival, Sony's Playstation 4, has so far outsold it thanks to a variety of reasons. Until the Kinect-less Xbox One was launched Microsoft's console was more expensive than the Playstation, and also Sony's device is available in numerous more markets than the Xbox.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance