16:37 15th Jul, 2014
Microsoft Says Windows Laptops At Chromebook Prices Are Coming
The devices will be predominantly powered by Intel's Celeron processors and will cost as little as $199 (approx Rs 12,000).
Microsoft is facing heat from Chromebooks in the low-end computing market, but revealed that it is working on taking the fight to Google. At the company's partner conference Microsoft COO Kevin Turner announced that HP is planning to launch its Windows-based 'Stream' device later this year that will cost just $199 (approx Rs 12,000).
He didn't however reveal the specifications of the HP Stream, but just like the $249 laptop options from Acer and Toshiba, it is expected to be powered by Intel's Celeron processors. The move will hopefully give buyers of such devices more choice and its quite hard to complain about the solidity of the Windows platform.
Microsoft isn't looking to outdo Google in the low-end market with better specifications or any special features. Instead it's planning to use Windows which is far superior in terms of functionality to Chrome OS in order to sell to customers looking for a bare bones PC.
[Also read: MediaTek Looking To Make Chromebooks A Lot Cheaper]
Turner also revealed that HP and other manufacturers are all-set to launch Windows-based tablet PCs for as little as $99 in the near future. This announcement doesn't really come as a surprise, especially since Microsoft announced that the OS would be free to manufacturers for devices with screen sizes lesser than 9-inches.
While Microsoft's renewed focus on the low-end PC market is great for consumers, the company has to ensure that its partner manufacturers don't get into a similar battle that doomed the NetBook – a price war that saw specifications fall so far that the devices were so underpowered that they were unusable.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance