Alnoor M Peermohamed
15:44 14th Jul, 2014
MediaTek Looking To Make Chromebooks A Lot Cheaper | TechTree.com
MediaTek Looking To Make Chromebooks A Lot Cheaper
Cost-savings are great, but a MediaTek powered Chromebooks could suffer from a major flaw - sluggish performance.
Chromebooks as a segment in the PC market currently sits in the lower end, with prices for a device starting at about Rs 23,000. However, that base price could fall a lot further with Taiwanese chipmaker MediaTek currently testing Chromebooks powered by the inexpensive ARM Cortex-A7 processor.
The development came to light when MediaTek contributed code to Chromium OS for a test device that runs on a Cortex-A7 chipset. A device powered by the same chip that powers most low-cost smartphones and tablets is an obvious choice as it is significantly cheaper than the Cortex-A15/A7 hybrids and Intel Celeron processors.
However, the massive cost savings come at a price – sluggish performance - phones and tablets the Cortex-A7 chipsets aren't known for their blazing speed. Still it isn't hard to guess why MediaTek is interested in building low-cost versions of devices running Google's Chrome OS.
Low-cost PC could make up a significant share of the markets in countries such as India and China, where MediaTek made chipsets already dominate the low-end smartphone market. Even Google recognised this strength of the company, tying up with it to create compatible chipsets for powering Android One smartphones.
Smartphones running on Google's Android made by manufacturers like Micromax, Karbonn, Lava and Spice are currently competing with feature phones. A cheaper Chromebook on the other hand could bring Chrome OS to people who might not otherwise get a PC at all.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance