Alnoor M Peermohamed
14:54 15th Jul, 2014
Google's Project Ara Developer Kits Ready For Shipment
The 'dev board' will let module developers test how their hardware interacts with the rest of the Ara system.
Google's modular smartphone program, Project Ara has reached its next significant milestone, with the company all-set to ship the dev board to hardware developers. Google has begun taking applications from companies and organisations that are interested in creating modular hardware for the program.
The announcement comes soon after Google released the Ara Module Developers Kit that allowed interested parties to create modules for Project Ara. With the dev board, those developers will be able to evaluate how their hardware interacts with the rest of the Ara system.
The first round of applications closes on July 18, and if selected, developers could receive the hardware as early as this month end. There will also be a second round of applications that closes on August 18 for latecomers or those who miss out on getting the dev board in the first round.
According to Engadget, “Google is prioritizing the board requests based on your know-how and the strength of your proposed module concept -- it wants signs that there's a real device in the works.” Unlike with the Google Glass, not everyone can become a developer, the kit is meant only for those with hardware manufacturing capabilities.
For consumers then the latest Project Ara announcement means next to nothing, but if you're a fan of the modular smartphone, the announcement should excite you. Why? The move is a huge step towards putting Ara into the hands of the consumer, and judging by the pace of development, that could be soon.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance