12:11 14th Jul, 2014
Leaked: Supposed Screenshot Of The Windows 8.1 Start Menu
While there's no way to prove the legitimacy of the image, the Start Menu does look very similar to what Microsoft showed off at its Build conference.
Microsoft had promised the return of the Start Menu in Windows 8.1 at its Build developer conference back in April, thanks to a longstanding demand from users. Now we have a screenshot showing off the alleged Start Menu which cropped up on online forum My Digital Life.
In the past few months there hasn't been much to go on in terms of what the UI element would look like. If the leaked image is anything to go by, the soon-to-come Start Menu in Windows 8.1 will look very similar to what Microsoft showcased back at Build.
Media reports however have been split over the legitimacy of the image, with a source speaking to Neowin claiming the image appears to be legitimate, while TheVerge's Tom Warren says its Photoshopped. However an official conformation of what the new Start Menu will look like will only come close to the expected early 2015 roll-out.
What the leak does show is the positive sentiment among Windows users and fans of the UI element's return to the iconic operating system. Even if the image is a sham, it is expected that Microsoft will merge the traditional Start Menu with Metro-like tiled elements.
TechCrunch which got in touch with Microsoft for a comment on the leaked image was greeted with a reply that the company does not make statements based on rumours or speculation. Given the way Windows fans have taken to publicising the speculated Start Menu, it would be best if Microsoft just gave them what they want.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens