Alnoor M Peermohamed
15:07 08th Jul, 2014
'Weak Demand' For Phones Leads To Samsung's Declining Profits
The increased spending on marketing, along with drop in low and mid segment devices' sales have wrecked havoc
Korean electronics giant Samsung is all set to post its latest quarter earnings report, but things could be a lot worse than expected. The company has admitted that “weak demand” for its low to mid-range devices has contributed heavily to the declining profits and it could even report a drop in sales.
According to Engadget, Samsung increased its marketing spend in order to clear out unsold stocks of its low to mid-range devices. Weak demand coupled with the extra spend on publicity has wrecked havoc on the company's bottom end, with earnings expected to be 24 percent less than a year ago.
Samsung credits the drop in demand for its low to mid-range devices to increased competition in European markets, where manufacturers like Motorola have enjoyed massive success. Even in the Chinese market consumers are holding out from buying current 3G models in the wait for 4G enabled devices.
How bad is the fall? Samsung now expects to post an 8-11 percent drop in sales for the quarter that ended June. It would be the third consecutive quarterly decline in profits for the Korean giant, and could easily carry on into the current quarter as buyers stay away from making purchases in wait for the iPhone 6.
Tablet sales too have taken a beating, and apart from the fact that Samsung has followed a rather slow upgrade cycle, the market for 7 to 8-inch tablets has been cannibalised by the success of phablets.
Despite the falling sales and bloating marketing spend, Samsung claims that the biggest source of its recent financial worries is currency fluctuations. The value of the won has steadily been increasing against the dollar, bad news for any Korean exporter.
Samsung is still maintaining a positive outlook for the rest of the year, and is banking big on the success of upcoming devices. The upcoming Galaxy Note 4 is expected to be one of the main devices in the company's arsenal to counter the oversized version of Apple's iPhone6, all in an attempt to salvage sales.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance