Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
21:27 13th Nov, 2013
Motorola Launches Moto G - Poor Man's Nexus Phone
Will be available in Brazil and parts of Europe this month; will reach India by 2014.
As expected, Motorola has unveiled its entry-level Android phone Moto G. According to the official blog post, the company's goal is "to deliver a premium experience for a third of the price of current high-end phones". The phone flaunts a 4.5-inch HD display encased in Gorilla Glass 3. Inside is a midrange Snapdragon 400 chipset, which houses a 1.2 GHz quad-core A7 CPU. There's 1 GB of RAM and internal storage of 8 or 16 GB, but there's no microSD card slot for further expansion. Considering the amount of space Android 4.3 takes, don't expect anything more than 6 GB of usable storage in the base model.
Speaking of Android, the phone ships with stock Android Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM, so you don't have to deal with the cluttered customisation and bloatware. Motorola has assured Android 4.4 KitKat early next year. For imaging, there's a 5 megapixel auto-focus snapper coupled with an LED flash.
The Moto G will first reach Brazil and parts of Europe by the end of next week. Followed and by the rollout in Latin America, Europe, Canada and parts of Asia. However, those in US and India will have to wait till 2014. Yes, you read it right; Motorola plans to returns to India shortly. The 8 GB variant is priced at USD 180 (Rs 11,350 approx), while the 16 GB version will set you back for USD 200 (Rs 12,600 approx). If Motorola gets the Moto G pricing right in India, read under Rs 15,000 for the 16 GB variant, it can give the Mediatek based domestic smartphones a serious run for their money.
It's clear that after failing to crack the high-end segment, Motorola now wants to gain some market share with the help of affordable smartphones. And we believe it's a sensible move to go with the tried and tested strategy, which has worked for Nokia.
- Noise announces its new Qualcomm Powered Bluetooth Neckband
- Skullcandy Launches Noise Reduction Earbuds at RS. 7999
- Zebronics launches TWS earphone “Zeb-Sound Bomb”
- HiFuture launches the longest battery true wireless earbuds in India
- Digisol Launches Smart Switch for Smart Cities
- Airtel announces Revised Tariffs for Mobile customers
- Portronics launches iLUMI, an LED lamp with inbuilt Bluetooth Speaker
- Toreto launches its Remix Series of “USB Wall Charger” with Built-in Bluetooth Speaker
- Launching FINGERS LivMusic Wireless Neckband - Live, Breathe and Absorb Music Non-Stop!
- Techno Launches New Smartphone at Rs.8499