01:01 17th Sep, 2012
CES 2012: Sony Xperia ion And Xperia S Revealed
Both handsets mark Sony's arrival in the dual-core segment.
Sony's long partnership with Swedish telecom giant Ericsson has ended with a $1.5 billion settlement. Thanks to this, the company will finally be known as Sony Mobile Communications. This new era in the Sony legacy will be marked with the arrival of two new smartphones: the Sony Xperia ion and the Sony Xperia S (formerly known as Sony Ericsson Nozomi LT26i), revealed at 2012 CES. The two devices mark Sony's long-awaited entry into the dual-core smartphone segment, which was expected since rumours broke out a couple of months ago.
The Xperia ion is Sony's flagship smartphone, but this time it's not just the design that's brilliant. The ion has a 4.6" capacitive display with pixel dimensions of 1280x720 (319 ppi). An exciting new addition is the 12 MP Sony Exmor R camera sensor that promises exceptional images and videos. There's a front-facing camera on board too. Sony has decided to go with Qualcomm's Snapdragon S3 dual-core chipset, clocked at 1.5 GHz. The phone will come with 16 or 32 GB of internal storage, along with 1 GB of RAM for app management. This will be the company's first LTE-capable (4G) smartphone.
Very similar to the ion, the Xperia S was also just announced by Sony. The handset features a relatively smaller 4.3" capacitive display with pixel dimensions of 1280x720. It will feature the same 12 MP Exmor R sensor, capable of recording 1080p video at 30 fps, and a front-facing camera capable of 720p video. The processor also remains the same as the ion, so does the internal storage as well as RAM. Both phones will have features such as NFC, HDMI output, and so on.
The Sony Xperia ion and Xperia S will come with Android 2.3.5 out of the box, upgradable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The Xperia S is slated to be launched by March and the ion is expected to break cover by June, so we might not have to wait too long to see these beasts in action. However, since the ion probably will be an AT&T exclusive in the US, we might not see the handset hit Asian markets soon.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones