18:06 01st Jun, 2013
Flipkart To Exit Digital Music Business
Will shut its Flyte MP3 store on 17th June; ebook store will still be up and running.
E-commerce website Flipkart.com took an important step last year in legalising digital music by launching the Flyte MP3 store in February 2012. In fact, it celebrated its first anniversary with a lot of pomp and gusto, giving away a thousand songs for free. However, the government's inefficiency in curbing music piracy online seems to have killed the service for good. In an email sent out to its users, that the store will not let you purchase music after 17th June. Any balance on the Flyte wallet after the date will be refunded. You can continue to download tracks purchased up to 18th August, after which access to the library will be discontinued. Needless to say, this will also affect the purchase of tracks via YouTube, a feature recently made available by Flyte MP3 store. Note that the Flipkart Wallet had become exclusive to Flyte, we hope this useful feature will find its way back to the main website for shoppers.
But the digital store will continue to sell ebooks from the service. NextBigWhat quotes Mekin Maheshwari, Head – Digital Media and Payments, Flipkart: "We have realized that the music downloads business in India will not reach scale unless several problem areas such as music piracy and easy micro-payments etc are solved in great depth. Which is why, we feel that at present, it makes sense to take a step back from Flyte MP3 and revisit the digital music market opportunity at a later stage". So it is likely that Flipkart will revisit the digital music market in the future. Will this affect you in anyway? Sound off in the comments.
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-