23:02 02nd Nov, 2012
iPhone 5 Officially Available In India
Unlikely to be available off the shelf; pre-orders will probably get precedence.
The iPhone 5 has made its official debut in India today. Apple's flagship phone has been available in the country's grey market since its launch, with an exorbitant price tag. It has also been put up on preorder by various telecos, including Airtel (the black variant only) and Aircel (in collaboration with Snapdeal.com, available in white and black), with shipping commencing today. In light of its official launch, Airtel has also announced discounted 3G plans specifically for the device, which is said to take advantage of its fast data bands. For those who came in late, here is the confirmed list of specifications:
- 4" Retina display with 1136x640 pixels at 326ppi, 16:9 aspect ratio, pixel density of 326 ppi, fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating.
- 8 megapixel auto focus camera with LED flash.
- Camera Features: 1080p video recording, Panorama, Face detection, Video stabilization, Geo-tagging.
- 1.2 mp front camera.
- A6 chipset, twice as fast as A5 (according to Apple).
- Dual-band Wi-Fi with AirPlay support, Bluetooth 4.0, Assisted GPS with GLONASS.
- Supported Audio: AAC, MP3, AAX, AAX+, AIFF, WAV.
- Supported Video: H.264, MP4, MOV.
- 16 GB / 32 GB / 64 GB internal storage.
- Proprietary Lightning connector.
- Three-axis gyro, accelerometer, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, digital compass.
- Lithium-ion battery with 8 hours of talk time and 225 hours of standby time on 3G, 10 hours of video playback, 40 hours of music playback.
- 4.8" (l) x 2.3" (w) x 0.3" (7.6 mm) (d), 112 grams.
- iOS 6 enhanced for bigger screen.
- LTE support, uses nano-SIM card.
The 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB variants of the iPhone 5 have been priced at Rs 45,500, Rs 52,500, and Rs 59,500, respectively. I made a quick call to the local Apple store, which will launch the device at 7 PM this evening. I was informed that the phone is not available off the shelf — you'll have to purchase a Rs 4500+ voucher and queue up for the device. Let's hope this doesn't turn out like the Chinese launch of the iPhone 4S!
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow