01:19 27th Oct, 2012
Microsoft Launches Windows 8 In India
Available in two flavours; only upgrade pricing announced.
Microsoft has launched Windows 8 in India. The OS works on desktops, but is optimised for touchscreen tablets. Its new tile-based interface, known as the Modern UI, takes a design cue from the Windows Phone operating system. Retail pricing is yet to be announced, but upgrade pricing have been revealed.
The OS is available in two variants: Windows 8, the plain version that lacks features such as encryption and Windows-To-Go (it runs right off a USB drive), and Windows 8 Pro, the full-ledged variant. Hardware requirements are the same as those for the Consumer Preview version that was launched a few months ago:
- 1 GHz CPU.
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit).
- 16 GB hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher.
- Display device with pixel dimensions of 1024x768 for Modern UI.
All major computer makers will start shipping PCs, laptops, and tablets with Windows 8 preinstalled. Existing Windows users have different upgrade offers to choose from. If you bought a computer with Windows 7 (the Starter Edition is ineligible for this offer) between 2nd June 2012, and 31st January, 2013, you can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for Rs 700 on or before 28th February, 2013. Otherwise, if you have a PC with Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, you can upgrade to the new OS for Rs 2000 (before that date). Please note that this offer is valid only if you downloaded the installation disk image from the Microsoft website after purchase. If you cannot download it, you can order a DVD for Rs 4000.
Retail pricing of the full product for first-time buyers has not yet been revealed.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance