17:37 17th Jul, 2012
Rumour: iPhone 5's Thinner, Larger Display Rolls Into Production; Also, More Front Panel Photos Leaked
Sharp and Japan Display Inc reportedly mass producing the thinner LCD display, rumoured to employ in-cell technology for thinner construction.
Amid stiff competition from rival Samsung's flagship GALAXY S III smartphone, upping the ante in terms of technology is proving to be more a necessity than just a matter of pride for Apple's upcoming iPhone 5. The rumoured thinness of the smartphone's display has been hyped enough already, but a new Wall Street Journal report cites "people familiar with the matter" claiming that production of the screen has already begun.
According to WSJ, LCD specialists Sharp Corp and Japan Display Inc have reportedly joined hands to mass-produce display panels for the fifth iteration of the iPhone. The new in-cell display technology integrates touchscreen sensors into the LCD panel, making the entire device thinner. For in-depth details on how the technology is employed, refer to our recent story on the matter.
However, it's not clear why Apple has stuck to LCD technology in its quest for thinner screens, especially when Samsung has already embraced OLED displays. Unlike LCDs, which require an extra layer of backlighting, emissive OLED panels are thinner because they generate light, thus eliminating the need for additional illumination.
Meanwhile, as the unconfirmed October launch window approaches, sneak peeks of the phone have started appearing on the internet with increasing frequency. A new image has surfaced on Photobucket, claiming to be the iPhone 5's front panel, with room for a larger 4" screen. Apple, however, remains tight-lipped about the rumours and speculations, including the exact launch date. However, that hasn't deterred some enterprising Chinese sellers from putting it up for pre-order (and making some easy money in the process).
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance