08:09 22nd Jun, 2012
Samsung Acknowledges Reports Of Exploding GALAXY S III Handsets
Starts investigations after its flagship smartphone nearly burns down an Irishman's car.
Samsung's hot new phone the GALAXY S III, seems to have gotten too hot for comfort. Dylan Kershaw, an Irish owner of the flagship GALAXY smartphone was driving when "suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone", he recounted in a forum post titled Galaxy S3 EXPLODES. Dylan claimed that he had kept the phone in a car mount, but it wasn't charging at the time. The photos show extensive fire damage along the bottom edge, with the heat having melted the back cover and plastic body around the area.
Samsung has quickly reacted and confirmed the incident on its official blog, promising to investigate the spontaneous combustion of its pride and joy. "There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY S III that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question", stated the Korean manufacturer in the blog post.
The reply trail on the forum post seems to suggest that Samsung has replaced the handset. "There is no confirmation that it was a fault with the phone. It may actually have been caused by a combination of my car mount and my cars heating system", posted the owner of the charred flagship handset later in the thread.
This is rather confusing because he had earlier claimed that the passive phone mount wasn't charging the device, so it sounds unlikely that it can or should cause the handset to combust. In the meantime, GLALXY S III users might want to slip their phones into this before parking it next to the family jewels.
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow