Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
15:37 15th Oct, 2012
TechTree Exclusive: Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 Features Revealed
Anonymous industry source confirms that WP8 (Apollo) will bring in support for dual-core CPUs, expandable storage, and pixel-packed screens.
With Microsoft's Windows Phone summit just around the corner, smartphone enthusiasts are trying hard to find out what's on the cards. Although Microsoft and its close partner Nokia aren't as secretive as Apple, the upcoming Windows Phone 8 (codenamed Apollo) has been one of their best kept secrets. True, there have been a few leaks regarding Skype integration and Nokia Maps, but nothing more than that. While several rumours have been floating around for months, thanks to a source close to Microsoft, we've got confirmed insights on almost every important aspect of the operating system. Without further ado, here's a summary of some important specs and features that will be made available in the next iteration of the WP platform.
- Multi-Core CPU - We were told that Nokia is already testing dual-core phones, and other brands will follow suit soon. Moreover, these high-end devices will have nothing less than 1 GB of RAM.
- MicroSD Card Slot - The lack of a microSD card slot was one of the biggest downers in the WP platform. Thankfully, this has now been added to the Apollo.
- Pixel-Packed Screens - Moving up from pixel dimensions of 480x800, WP devices are now expected to sport 720p screens.
- New Camera API - A new camera development kit means that manufacturers will now be able to customise the camera UI and features at their end. This will help Nokia bring the PureView tech to the Lumia series.
- NFC - Although Nokia has already included NFC to Lumia 610, Microsoft will now offer NFC support directly into the OS.
- Skype Integration - As speculated by most enthusiasts, deep Skype integration will be present.
- Demise Of Zune - Microsoft is pulling the plug on Zune for good. Copying your songs and video will be taken care of using the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode.
- Bluetooth (FTP) - Since MS is unlikely to add a Bluetooth file-sharing option to the platform, Nokia is working to bring this option via an exclusive app.
- Minor UI Tweaks (Resizeable Tiles) - Don't expect to see any radical change in the user interface, as the software giant wants to keep it simple. However, users will be given an option to use tiles of different sizes.
Here's a mockup image I've made of the interface, based on the information I have.
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones