Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
14:44 13th Dec, 2016
Panasonic Unveils Its Automated Grocery Shopping Experience
The Japanese company's checkout machine can handle everything from detecting items in your cart to raising an invoice.
Last week, Amazon showcased its automated grocery checkout system, which saves you from the long checkout queues. If that wasn't enough to make the store cashiers in developed countries feel insecure about their jobs, the Japanese tech company Panasonic has now unveiled its automated grocery checkout system.
Panasonic's checkout machine can handle everything from detecting items in your cart to raising an invoice. The system comprises of a basket can identify cart items by scanning the tags. It then raises a bill and even packs the items in a plastic bag.
Amazon's implementation is a bolder one as it uses array of cameras and sensor to let you pick up the stuff and walk out. The e-commerce giant then charges you from your Amazon wallet. In contrast, Panasonic's automated grocery store system enables customers to pay by cash or card. This means that these machines may require a human to oversee the operations.
A good things is that Panasonic's checkout system keeps its prying eyes limited to the shopping basket. On the other hand, Amazon's in store system will be monitoring you like a high security prison.
Panasonic is having a test run of its system at Lawson convenience store in Osaka, Japan. If things go as planned, the company will give this technology a wider release in 2018.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance