Chandrakant 'CK' Isi
16:16 06th Dec, 2016
Amazon's New Grocery Store Saves You From Long Checkout Queues
Pick up the stuff and walk out, Amazon's in-store technology will figure out the rest.
Online store giant Amazon is entering the brick-and-mortar space with its grocery store. Dubbed as Amazon Go, these stores are a lot like other grocery stores, except that you don't have to put up with long queues for the checkout process.
All you need to do is walk into the store. Login to your Amazon account using a a QR code. Pick up the stuff you want and simply walk out. Amazon's in-store technology that involves computer vision, sensor fusion, and deep learning will work out the list of items for you. You will then be charged from your Amazon account with a receipt. As you would have guessed already, Amazon has been working on this project for years. The development began in 2012. As of this writing, the project is being tested by Amazon employees at a few locations. It will be open to public in early 2017.
In order to use this service, users will need an Amazon account, a supported smartphone, and the free Amazon Go app. The service has been announced only for the US. If you are still confused about the concept. Check out the demo video embedded below. Please note that we do not encourage readers to do something similar in Indian supermarkets. Here you will be charged for shoplifting.
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch
- Newly launched Vu Cinema TV sold out on Amazon within 24 hours!
- Havit launches high bass neckband with 12 hrs battery in India at 1299/-
- ADCOM Launches “Vision” - LED Headphones for Ultimate Gamers
- LAVA Launches Z71 with Dedicated Google Assistant Key
- Detel launches Amaze – Truly Wireless Bluetooth Speaker in India
- Airtel Wi-Fi Calling’ crosses One million users
- Fujifilm India unfold its innovation prowess by showcasing Photo Imaging Product Portfolio at CEIF 2020