14:35 24th Jun, 2016
YouTube’s New Mobile App To Soon Enable Live Streaming
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki dropped the long-awaited bomb at VidCon on Thursday.
After months of speculation, Google’s YouTube announced on Thursday that they were finally offering live streaming on the YouTube mobile app.
CEO Susan Wojcicki broke the news in the midst of her keynote at VidCon."Live streaming is not something that’s new for us, we're always thinking about new ways to capitalize on immersive digital video in general. Our belief is that YouTube —- being central place of video on Internet — needs to be on the cutting edge. And we want to make it easier for our users to take advantage of these new technologies." Said YouTube’s chief product officer Neal Mohan, in an interview with Mashable prior to VidCon.
Users can live stream by clicking a red capture button in the corner of the new app. You then take or select a photo for a thumbnail, and boom, you can broadcast live to fans, and chat in almost-real time.
YouTube will now compete in the live streaming arena with not only Facebook, but also Meerkat, Periscope, and various other live streaming platforms that have materialised in the last year. However, YouTube feels that it will offer more than its competitors since it has better infrastructure already in place.
Wojcicki said that this new feature would likely inspire creation on the platform, and added that she was “really looking forward to seeing how everybody here uses these creative tools”.
Only a day ago, House Democrats live streamed a sit-in to protest the Republican majority's inaction regarding gun control in the USA. The footage was available solely on social media; even CSPAN broadcasted feeds from Periscope.
With this new feature, YouTube continues to add to its live offerings. It has been using live streaming since 2011, when millions of people the world over tuned in to watch the Royal Wedding. Earlier this year, YouTube became the first platform to ever broadcast a 360-degree live stream, during Coachella.
The live streaming feature became available to a few creators on Thursday-AIB, SACCONEJOLY, The Young Turks, Alex Wassabi, Platica Polinesia- and will soon be more widely available.
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow
- Philips rapidly expands its smart audio product portfolio by launching Headphones with one touch Google Assistant and Active Noise Cancellation
- Goldmedal Electricals launches smart i-Sense Senso Switch