10:32 05th Nov, 2015
Sony’s PlayStation VR Headset To Be Available By H1 2016
The company will be turn VR headset into a platform as it perceives VR to be more than just gaming.
It’s official! Sony’s PlayStation VR headset will launch in the first half of 2016. Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studio President, Yoshida Shuhei revealed at a press conference in Seoul that the company is gearing up for the Virtual Reality gaming arena. But he also mentioned that the new headset will not entirely focus on gaming but other entertainment sectors like films as well.
"Compared to one-and-a-half years ago when we showcased the Morpheus, the environment surrounding the virtual reality technology is rapidly changing. We are seeing a sharp increase in the number of developers working for virtual reality content not only in the game industry but in film and drama," he said while answering questions during the press conference.
While both gaming and non-gaming industries are trying out virtual reality, Sony says it has an advantage because it has better hardware experience along with the necessary software skills to improve on the virtual reality experience as well. This would obviously include the PlayStation 4 (PS4) console that is currently on sale today.
Coming to the specifics of PlayStation VR, the head-mounted display packs in a 5.7 inch OLED display that is coupled with an accelerometer and gyros. It supports the 120Hz refresh rate on the PS4 along with all of its network functions.
Sony also announced a tie up with Korean game developer ROI Games for their title “Whiteday” which should be out at launch. The title is a romantic horror game and you can find the trailer for the same below, which in our opinion is pretty scary for a VR experience.
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance
- Unbox Robotics, an early stage startup from the maiden cohort of Entrepreneur First, receives initial round of funding
- boAt audio ranked No.1 in India in the earwear category
- Kodak HD LED TV launches India’s most affordable Dolby vision Android certified 4K TVs
- Global debut of Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and Redmi Note 9 Pro in India
- POCO announces ‘Head for Red’ sale for Phoenix Red POCO X2
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens