19th Oct 2012
Microsoft will launch Windows 8 on the 26th of October. Along with that, the Surface series of tablets will also be unleashed upon us. Here are the top five of the many reasons why the Surface will most likely outshine the competition:
Bundled Windows 8 OS
The Surface will come with Windows 8, which is the dominant desktop operating system right now. This makes it easier, and a more tempting option, for Windows users to upgrade. Most of the applications they currently use can also be used on the Surface. The Intel version will get the full Windows 8 Professional, which means a Surface can become a member of a Windows domain, along with existing Windows-based computers.
From what I have seen on a prototype Samsung tablet running Windows 8, the interface is as smooth as that of the iPad. Plus, it's definitely a lot better than that of Android tablets.
Touch And Desktop Modes
You get the touch as well as the desktop interface, and you can choose what's more convenient. Adding a keyboard accessory allows the Surface to replace your laptop and improve productivity.
Switch To Laptop Mode
Thanks to the integrated kickstand (which allows it to be placed upright), and the ultra-slim cover with its built-in keyboard, the Surface can actually transform into a laptop in a few seconds. Other tablets can be used in this mode, but you have to carry an extra keyboard, which reduces portability — but more importantly, carrying a keyboard around is no fun.
Connect Peripherals Just Like A Windows PC
A full USB 2.0 port on the ARM version, and USB 3.0 on the Intel-based Surface, allow you to connect all the peripherals that you use with your Windows PC. The transition to the slate from a desktop becomes that much easier.
TechTree Blog: 5 Reasons To Desire The Surface Tablet
Microsoft has a few hard-to-resist aces up its sleeve with the new slate.
- Bobble AI bullish on growing business via regional content; announces dedicated keyboard in Malayalam
- Acer India launches business PC at Just Rs 9999
- TCL 4K QLED with Hands Free AI TV Pre-booking Coming Soon at Reliance Digital
- Linksys India Launches VELOP MX5300 WIFI 6 Mesh System
- Acer introduces Nitro 5, its first 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Gaming Laptop
- Barco Introduces New Series of Advanced Video Processing and Presentation Control Systems
- NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 Mesh System to Augment Your Home Wi-Fi Network for Improved Work Efficiency
- Motorola announces its new flagship in India with the Fastest, Loudest, Boldest; motorola edge+
- Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 are now available in India
- Genelec Announces 1235A: Classic Heritage, Cutting Edge Performance