27th Jul 2012
Plastic money in the form of credit cards is very convenient to use, as you can avoid carrying wads of cash as well as space out your expenses. However, if it falls into the wrong hands (which seems to increasingly be the case nowadays), it can result in someone making merry, literally at your expense. Here is a handy guide to block your card and apply for replacement, as soon as the theft comes to light. While most banks follow similar procedures, the ones mentioned here pertain to ICICI Bank and SBI, primarily because I too happened to lose my credit cards recently. However, quick action on my part ensured that I successfully blocked and received duplicate cards without incurring any financial damage.
There are two ways in which you can block your misplaced credit card — through the IVR system, or using the web portal. You can look for the customer care number in your city here. You can instantly cancel your lost card on the phone by confirming your details, ensuring that no one can misuse the card or make any purchases.
If you plan on using the website, note that it will work only if your card has previously been linked to your online banking account. If that is the case, go to ICICIBank.com and login to your account. Go to the Credit Cards section and click on the Credit Card Blocking option listed under the Service Requests section in the left-hand panel. Once blocked, click Other Requests to get a replacement card. From the requests listed, select Card Replacement Related option, and apply click Request for Replacement of Card in the subsequent window. However, you may be charged a fee to replace the card.
Just like with ICICI, you can block your SBI cards too via IVR and the web. Dial 3902 0202, prefixing the STD code of your city, to block your card through the phone. BSNL \ MTNL users can dial 1860 180 1290 \ 1800 180 1290 as well. However, you cannot apply for a duplicate card using this service.
If you plan on using the web instead, you need to have previously created an account on SBICard.com. Login and select the card you wish to block. Choose the Hotlist Lost or Stolen Card option from the Service Requests section on the left side of the page. Select the card number and click Submit — your card will then be disabled. After you've blocked your card, you can place a request for a duplicate from the listed options. You will be charged Rs 250 for the fresh card.
Guide: How To Block Lost Credit Cards And Apply For Reissual Online
With card thefts becoming increasingly common, here's a quick guide to how you can block and get duplicate ICICI and SBI bank cards.
- Xiaomi India launches new Mi Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones
- Xiaomi to bring NavIC technology from ISRO to several smartphones in 2020
- Bobble celebrates 'Namaste Trump" with new GIFs, and Stickers
- Fujifilm unveils the new X100V camera with high performance and advanced functions along with two new XC 35mm F2 and GF 45-100mm F4 lens
- boAt audio launches new range of earphones & speakers at the recently concluded Lakmé Fashion Week
- Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless, The Smarter Travel Companion, Launched in India
- Titan Company strengthens its technology and wearables play
- Xiaomi India launches Desh Ka Dumdaar Smartphone, Redmi 8A Dual
- HYPERX LAUNCHES FURY ULTRA RGB GAMING MOUSE PAD IN INDIA
- An initiative to create a Breathe Free space for the torch bearers of tomorrow